Monday, December 15, 2014

LISTENING......It Actually Works!!!!!

Entonces, Holda otra ves de Carhuamayo!!


Yeah I dont write in Spanish a whole lot so thats all I got haha.


Anyway, this week was interesting. I would like to explain the title of this letter. First, I need to get this out of the way. My PARENTS WILL say that I never listened. That is not true, I always listened with one ear. That is what I have learned thus far in the mission. It is only possible to understand what people are saying here if you listen with both ears. Back home I could understand what people were saying while I watched TV, no big deal, but here if I dont focus COMPLETELY on their words, I truly can't understand what they are saying.
 
I have two examples to share this week of LISTENING:
 
1st- Our new investigator, who I must say is a gift from heaven here in Carhuamayo, Sarita. She is Golden, she wants a change in her life and is doing everything possible to get that change. She reads the Book of Mormon, she writes down questions, she ATTENDED CHURCH, and she is feeling the Spirit more now than she ever has in her life. We have taught, I think 4 lessons with her thus far, and every time, I completely focus on her words. You might say, "Elder Bell, you are suppose to do this anyways," Well, true, but it is very difficult to do, you just ask any other 23 year old you know if they focus completely when someone else is talking haha. But, I have realized the more that I focus the more I truly understand. Not only her words, but her tone of voice, and her unspoken expressions she evokes when talking about the gospel. Some may say this is being Desernable, I just think it is me paying close attention to the needs of another. Anyway, the moral of this story is, Listening pays off, and you can understand more than what is spoken when you truly, LISTEN.
 
2nd- This example is of NOT LISTENING. and NO it is not of me not listening :) haha. We had another lesson this past week with our Investigtor, Melanio. Well, again, his cousin, of the Evangelico Peruana Iglesia, attended this meeting. It was a little better than the past lesson we had with him present, we were able to at least get a word or two in this time. But this man DOES NOT LISTEN, nor does he have the desire to listen. Which, is sad, when we listen we learn. But when he meets with the missionaries, or should I say, when he tries to contend with missionaries, he only uses his mouth. Not his ears, or his eyes, or might I add... His Brain... It is very sad. We have so much to offer him and new understandings in the Bible but yet this man, does not listen. We do not learn by talking, (unless we are learning a language I will make one exception) We learn by listening and trying to understand new principles. So, the moral of this story, God gave us TWO EARS for a reason, and only ONE mouth for this reason. HAHA anyway, he is now going around the town harrassing members of the church, it is pretty frustrating but, everyone has their agency, thank goodness for agency.
 
In my first interview with President Henderson in the field he told me, "I just finished reading a book. It is a great book, it is called 'Enforcing Agency'........." Took me a second to get it.. but I busted up laughing. I love my mission president he is so funny.
 
Anyway, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas with your families, and loved ones. Remember the reason for Christmas, isn't gifts, new toys or even money. It is to celebrate the life of the One who will give us eternal life with the people we celebrate the holidays with.
 
That is all from Carhuamayo this week! We have a baptism this coming weekend and then Sarita on the 3rd of January! So look for some pictures next week.
 
Love you and all!!

Elder Bell

1 comment: